Maple Avenue Juice nominated me for this blog award, which was great because I didn’t know about her blog until she nominated me, so now I have a new blog buddie who posts some pretty awesome juice recipes. Check her out.
So, the Liebster Blog Award is actually not an award, but rather a good way to build community, connect with other bloggers and generate attention for newer bloggers. Here are the rules:
▪ Acknowledge the nominating blogger
▪ Answer 11 questions the nominating blogger has created for you
▪ List 11 random facts about yourself
▪ List some bloggers with fewer than 200 followers that you really feel deserve a little blogging love!
▪ Let all of the bloggers know you have nominated them. You cannot nominate the blogger that nominated you!
▪ Post 11 questions for the bloggers you have nominated to answer
Questions from Maple Avenue Juice:
- What was the last meal you had?
I just ate some left-over quinoa, black bean, avocado and tomato salad. It’s one of my favorite dishes.
- What are 2 or 3 your favorite non-fiction health/wellness books?
Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver; The Omnivore’s Dilemma by Michael Pollan
- What is a post on your blog that you are really proud of?
Apparently my “One Pan Wonder” blog is kind of huge on Pinterest – who knows why – it’s definitely not my best recipe. The one I’m probably most proud of is my crock pot rib recipe, because let’s be honest – cooking perfect fall-off-the-bones ribs makes you feel like a badass.
- Who/What inspires you most on your ‘healthy living’ journey?
The idea of a long, healthy life inspires me. There are so many places I want to see, so much traveling I want to do, so many experiences I want to have – all of those things are dependent on my health, so I take it very seriously.
- What is your favorite kitchen appliance?
My blender. I have a Breville Hemisphere, which I highly recommend.
- Name your top 5 favorite fruits and/or vegetables?
1. Beets (duh) 2. Kale 3. Cucumbers 4. Avocadoes 5. Tomatoes (obviously I prefer veggies to fruit)
- Where do you feel the most relaxed/still/at ease?
- What is your favorite holiday and why?
I love Christmas because it’s the one time of the year I get to see my whole, huge family all in one place. That changes as you get older, and I don’t always get to see them every year, but when I do it’s magic.
- What is the most funny/silly/embarrassing thing you’ve said or done?
One time I did “stand up comedy” on a tour bus in Mexico. Tequila and Mexican cowboys were involved, so…yeah.
- What is your favorite workout/physical activity/exercise routine?
I love yoga, but can’t live without lifting weights and my elliptical.
- What is your main ‘healthy living’ goal for 2014?
I’m going to Hawaii in November, and my goal is to climb the Haiku Stairs (aka “stairway to heaven“) in Oahu. It’s technically illegal, so who knows if I’ll get to – but I’m exercising in preparation for doing it – just in case.
11 Random Facts About Me:
- I have two pugs named Winston and Clementine. Very few people realize they are named after Winston and Clementine Churchill, who also had a pug named “Mr. Pug”
- I’ve known my husband for 25 years – we met when I was 3 and he was 5.
- I have a large scar on my left hand from cutting it while creating a robot when I was 9. Best believe I finished that robot when I got home from the hospital with over a dozen stitches.
- Although I love being a professional writer, I hate sitting still. My days are a struggle as I force myself to sit down to do the one thing I love to do when there’s just so much pacing to be done.
- Growing up I wanted to be an actress and sometimes still do, but am mostly glad I can go into Target without makeup on and no one knows who I am.
- I keep my friends forever – I have some friends I’ve had since (literally) the day I was born, some still from elementary, high school and college. Once I find someone I like, I cling on like a barnacle.
- I love to travel, but I consistently get home sick after four days. The only exception was when my husband and I went to Napa and there was just too much wine for anyone to want to go home.
- I am using this blog as a way to procrastinate on a very important writing project I have yet to begin.
- I love cooking for me and my husband, but cooking for any more than two people gives me major anxiety.
- My Meyers-Briggs personality type is INTJ, which is the rarest personality type for women – less than 1% of women fall into that type. (According to my husband, that actually qualifies it as a personality disorder, not a personality type…)
- I minored in Psychology in undergrad and if I had all the time and money in the world, I’d go back and finish a BS, MS and PhD in it.
OK! Now to nominate. So, I’m a really horrible community blogger and I really only read one other food blog very consistently, and that is Whisks and Words. Dana, no pressure! If you’d like to, please accept this award and answer the following questions:
- What brought you to cooking?
- What brought you to writing?
- When was it clear to you that you wanted to merge your two passions?
- What has been your best moment in food writing?
- What’s your best advice for others in the food writing “industry”?
- What is, hands down, your favorite thing to eat?
- What is, hands down, your favorite thing to COOK (I know that for me these are two very different things)?
- You were recently interviewing folks about food documentary “fall out” – what’s your personal philosophy on food, food safety and ethics?
- What can you never pass up at the farmers market?
- If calories were no issue, I would binge on ___________?
- Your favorite quote about food, cooking or eating.
Thanks again to Maple Avenue Juice for the shout out!